Frequently Asked Questions
- Why has Interlochen Center for the Arts launched a comprehensive fundraising campaign?
The goal of this Campaign is to prepare Interlochen for its second century. Further investment in this vibrant arts institution will allow us to create bold new programs that pave the way for the future of the arts; increase scholarship support for aspiring artists; create transformative spaces; and broadcast important and powerful news, music and programming to communities across northern Michigan and the world. We invite you to join us in giving everyone a place to unite through the power of the arts and fuel the arts for generations to come.
- What is the timeline for the campaign?
Create Amazing: The Campaign for Interlochen began its leadership phase on July 21, 2012, securing 100 percent participation from our Board of Trustees and many close friends. On July 23, 2016, Interlochen announced its goal with an official public celebration, to inspire alumni, parents and friends in reaching campaign goals.
In fall 2016, Interlochen finished constructing the Dennison Center for Recreation and Wellness. In spring 2017, Interlochen broke ground on the new music building (expected opening spring 2019) and made progress on the plans for a renovated and expanded dance facility. The Campaign will conclude in 2018.
- What is the campaign’s financial goal?
Create Amazing: The Campaign for Interlochen strives to raise $125 million—the most ambitious fundraising campaign in our history. The majority of this goal will be used to fund these priority areas: Scholarship Support, Teaching Endowments, Interlochen Public Radio, Guest Artists, World Youth Symphony Orchestra and the Interlochen Annual Fund.
Interlochen is seeking donor support for these capital projects:
- New Music Building: our fundraising efforts continue, as we seek to close the gap between our fundraising progress and the estimated $24M construction cost
- Expanded and Renovated Dance Building
- Dennison Center for Recreation and Wellness (established through a generous bequest from former Trustee and alumna, Lee Dennison)
- How were the campaign priorities determined?
After a careful analysis and strategic review process, the Board of Trustees determined what needed to be accomplished to prepare Interlochen for its second century. These priorities were further defined by Interlochen staff in consultation with Interlochen alumni, parents, and friends and organized under People (e.g.: students and teachers), Place (e.g.: new music building), Programs (e.g.: Interlochen Public Radio, World Youth Symphony Orchestra and Guest Artists), and Opportunity (e.g.: Interlochen Annual Fund and planned giving). Through the funds generated by this Campaign, Interlochen will be well positioned for its second century.
- Why should I support the campaign?
When you support this Campaign, you are affecting the future of Interlochen and all those who seek an artistic haven. You are CREATING AMAZING PEOPLE, PLACE, PROGRAMS and OPPORTUNITY. You will set the stage for Interlochen’s second century, solidifying Interlochen’s leadership in the arts and arts education. Your support will educate the next generation of creative leaders and inspire lifelong learning in the arts.
- May I restrict my gift to a particular project or program?
Yes. Please see our campaign website at www.createamazing.org for information on specific campaign projects and programs. If you would like to give to an area that is not listed, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 231.276.7623.
- Can I designate a gift to multiple projects?
Yes, please make clear in the designation how you would like your contribution divided/allocated.
- Can I make a gift over time?
Yes. You can make a pledge commitment that is payable on a schedule of your choosing, not to exceed five years from the date you pledge your gift.
- Are gifts tax-deductible?
Yes. Interlochen is an IRS qualified, approved and registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit. Our EIN number is: 38-1689022. For tax purposes, you will receive a gift receipt in the mail after making your gift. At the beginning of the calendar year, you will also receive a summary of your giving history.
- Can I give something other than cash?
Yes, Interlochen also accepts:
- Gifts of securities
- Planned gifts including, but not limited to: bequests of all types, charitable gift annuities, charitable remainder trusts, lead trusts, and remainder interests of IRAs and insurance policies
- IRA rollover gifts from donors age 70 1/2 and older. Direct transfers of up to $100,000 can be used to meet all or a portion of the annual required minimum distribution
Please contact Advancement staff at 231.276.7623 or email@example.com for more information.
- May I make my gift anonymously?
Yes. If indicated, requests for anonymity will be honored with discretion, and we will not publish your name. Anonymous gifts will still receive a thank you letter and gift receipt for tax purposes.
- I can make a gift now, but I could make a larger gift through my estate. How could I learn more about possible options that allow me to support Interlochen and enable me to potentially help family members or receive tax advantages?
It’s never too early to start thinking about the kind of legacy you want to leave at Interlochen! Planned gifts transform our students’ lives and support our work in education, public broadcasting, and presentations.
Interlochen will work with you and your advisor to design a gift plan that accomplishes your charitable goals and keeps in mind your individual financial and estate planning needs. This gift plan can include a variety of tools and techniques for giving, including bequests, gifts of life insurance and retirement assets, charitable gift annuities, charitable remainder trusts, and charitable lead trusts, all of which offer unique tax and other benefits to you and your heirs.
For more information, please contact Kathleen Kasdorf, Director of Planned Giving at firstname.lastname@example.org or 231.276.7637.
- Apart from making a financial gift at this time, are there other ways I can be a part of the campaign?
Yes. You can show your support through a multitude of ways, including:
- Become an on-campus volunteer —you can usher at concerts, plant flowers on Interlochen’s campus, help sew costumes … and much more!
- Work with the Office of Engagement on volunteer and engagement opportunities where you live—email email@example.com for more information.
- Be an advocate for Interlochen by spreading the word to private teachers, schools, and others in your area.
- I’d like to make my gift to remember/honor someone important to me. How can I do that?
You can make a gift in honor or memory of an individual or organization. It’s a wonderful way to support Interlochen while honoring someone special. To make a gift, please contact our Stewardship and Special Events Manager, Kate Olson, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 231.276.7611. We’ll send a message to the person you designate, notifying them about your tribute gift (without specifying the gift amount).
- If I make my gift to remember/honor someone important to me, can I name it for them?
Yes, you can choose from a variety of naming opportunities to honor someone’s legacy in perpetuity. These can include endowed Academy and Camp scholarships or a teaching studio in the new Music Building. Please contact 231.276.7623 or email@example.com.
- Why should I make an additional gift if I am already making annual contributions?
Interlochen Annual Fund gifts play a vital role in supporting the students, programs, news, music and artists that are part of the Interlochen experience every day. Through this Campaign, we strive to grow annual fund donor support to create amazing every day. For those in a position to consider an additional gift, we will use these additional funds to provide endowments for long-term financial strength of our programs and capital funds to ensure that the facilities we have are as premier as the artists we work to inspire and train.
- I’m ready to make a commitment to Interlochen. How can I make a gift?
You can make a gift several ways!
- Give online at: createamazing.org/give
- Call advancement at 231.276.7623
- Mail a check made out to Interlochen Center for the Arts:
Interlochen Center for the Arts
P.O. Box 199
Interlochen, MI 49643
- Make a planned gift (including, but not limited to: bequests of all types, charitable gift annuities, charitable remainder trusts, lead trusts, and remainder interests of IRAs and insurance policies)
- Make a wire transfer
- Make a gift of securities
- Make a matching gift
- Whom can I contact with questions?
Please contact the Advancement office at 231.276.7623 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Or for specific areas of interest, please contact:
Interlochen Annual Fund: Angela Marino email@example.com, 231.276.7858
Scholarships or Tributes: Kate Olson firstname.lastname@example.org, 231.276.7611
Interlochen Public Radio: Emily Culler email@example.com, 231.276.7624
Planned Giving: Kathleen Kasdorf firstname.lastname@example.org, 231.276.7637